- This event has passed.
Community Open House – Saturday May 21st, 1:30-6:30pm
May 21 @ 1:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Take free 25-minute sample classes, listen to live music, and meet great people from the Midway, Rondo, and Frogtown neighborhoods! Masks required.
Come when you can, leave when you must!
1:30: View Rehearsal Process with Ananya Dance Theatre
2:00: Preview of new work “Nün Gherāo” with Ananya Dance Theatre
2:30: “Buniyaad: Intro to Yorchhā” with Parisha Rajbhandari (25-min)
- Learn the buniyaad, foundations, of Ananya Dance Theatre’s trade marked contemporary technique, which intersects principles of Vinyasa Yoga, Indian dance form Odishi (from the eastern Indian state of Odisha) and martial art form Chhau (also from Odisha).
3:00: “Sustainable Mobility: Seated and Standing Alignment” with Alexandra Eady (25-min)
- Learn strength and mobility exercises that encourage range of motion and healthy transition through multiple planes and positions. This class is for all levels. Modifications and progressions will be offered so that everyone feels comfortable and safe participating.
3:30: “Body Watani” with Noelle Awadallah (25-min)
- Body Watani (homeland in Arabic) is an improvisational movement and research practice, where participants are guided into their personal ‘body watani’ by moving from embodied memories of ancestry, land, water, and home.
4:00: “Spine Series” with Lizzette Chapa (25-min)
- Yorchhā and Pilates principles weave together in mat exercises, and breath work to strengthen and replenish our spine.
4:30: “Dancing Circles with Yorchhā” with Kealoha Ferreira (25-min)
- Together we will build a circle of exuberant vibration and playful rhythm that stirs a vortex toward joyful liberation.
5:10: Jam Session: “Global Feminist Funk Underground Club” with DJ Tybierius (80-min)
- Bring your blissful, wild, loving selves to this DJ-ed dance party. Imprint your communal energies and dreams on the Shawngram Institute and each other.