September 25, 2022
Ananya Dance Theatre seeks operations manager
Ananya Dance Theatre seeks to hire a full-time Operations Manager.
The Operations Manager reports to and works closely with the Managing Director and Artistic Director to manage the operations of the company.
Ananya Dance Theatre is a professional dance company of BIPOC women and femme artists working at the intersection of excellence, contemporary dance theater, social justice, and transnational feminisms. Our physical facility, the Shawngrām Institute for Performance & Social Justice is located at 1197 University Ave West, St Paul, MN, and is equipped with ADA-compliant access ramp and rest rooms. Typically, the company presents at least one new, devised performance annually, and is engaged in touring, offering community-based experiences, workshops, classes, and site-specific public art works. The company prides itself on developing deep roots in our local community along with wide-spreading branches in our transnational relationships.
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a Twin-Cities based professional who will work closely with the Managing Director and Artistic Director, and in keeping with the community-embedded professional culture the company has carefully nurtured since its inception. The person who is right for this position is a resourceful, proactive thought leader and problem solver, committed to a mission of BIPOC women and femme-centered social justice choreography, collaborative, energetic, people-oriented, and nurturing of the community connections that enliven our work.
This is a person who also works relatively independently to manage projects and makes decisions in close cooperation with other ADT colleagues, in keeping with the company’s culture.
This position does not have fixed hours per day every week, and the ideal candidate understands that their schedule will need to flexibly prioritize company activities. Much of the work of this position can be accomplished remotely.
● Bottom-line reliability;
● A generalist who tends to details in many areas in pursuit of meaning and accomplishment;
● A positive, can-do attitude reflected in forward-thinking that focuses on executing the details of short- and long-term tactics, strategies, and objectives;
● Understanding of and shared interest in social justice art-making and alternative, BIPOC-led aesthetics and artistic processes;
● Ability to articulate coherent stories orally and in writing;
● Strong written and verbal communication and marketing skills;
● Computer literacy and proficiency with Google Documents, Microsoft Office, Airtable, and online QuickBooks;
● Strategic and tactical insight into the uses of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other online platforms;
● General facility to maintain technical equipment, e.g. alarm system, printer, etc.;
● Experience managing information in spreadsheets and other office software;
● Basic budgeting and accounting skills to maintain the baseline documentation for the organization’s bookkeeper, accountants, and auditor;
● Ability to organize, plan, facilitate, and manage activities to meet deadlines;
● Personal ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and navigate the nuances that balance the resources and dreams of a growing, mighty dance company.
- Facility Maintenance: Manage building needs, such as contemporaneous security issues, monitor security cameras, manage key access for personnel, arrange for internal repairs, maintain supplies, communicate with landlord and neighbors about concerns, needs, activities;
- Institute Schedule: Maintain schedule of Institute activities, particularly events that involve external parties, such as showings, rentals, etc.;
- Communications / Social Media: Manage incoming administrative email, assist in updating website, and monitor Facebook, Twitter, Instagram accounts; assist the Managing Director with other external communications; develop and maintain constituent snail and email lists for students, audiences, and donors; update and maintain Airtable database;
- Bookkeeping / Accounting: Manage internal accounting for deposits and accounts payable, posting receipts and expenditures to QuickBooks software; maintain paper and electronic backup of transactions; primary contact for outside bookkeeper and tax accountant;
- Payroll: Manage bi-weekly and monthly employee payroll with outside bookkeeper, and payments to contractors;
- Data Entry: Postings to QuickBooks software and maintain Airtable database;
- Retrieve mail from post office box;
- General Office Administration: As assigned and assumed;
- Activities Files: Maintain electronic and paper files for all activity as repositories for correspondence, contracts, photos, and other items throughout the year;
- Event Management: Manage online/streaming activities, assisting with ADA compliance, set up, tear down, and technical aspects of these events;
- Track and compile participant activity statistics for all activities: classes, workshops, performances, online streams, tour residencies;
- Development: Assist Managing Director in communicating and managing fundraising initiatives.
The Operations Manager is budgeted to be a 1.00 FTE employee compensated at $48,000 annually. Ananya Dance Theatre will provide a MacIntosh laptop for virtual and in-person employment service.
Ananya Dance Theatre is a mission-based, nonprofit performing arts organization. Working in this sector can be personally rewarding, with intrinsic benefits and distinct opportunities for growth. We recognize that our compensation does not match that of the private sector nor of more highly resourced arts organizations. We are committed to working to increase compensation and benefits for all of our people. Candidates for employment should consider carefully their decision to work in this field before seeking or accepting a position at Ananya Dance Theatre.
Please visit our website for more information: www.ananyadancetheatre.org
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Irna.Landrum@ananyadancetheatre.org.
Please include “Operations Manager” in the email’s subject line. Please include the following information: your interest in the position and the organization, evidence of the required experience, and contact information. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis until the position is filled. All applicants will be notified of decisions in a timely fashion.