Create: The Community Meal, from Public Art Saint Paul by Seitu Jones, aims to lower barriers to making healthy food choices. On September 14, 2014, 2,000 people will gather at a ½ mile long table in the middle of Saint Paul’s Victoria Street for a civic dinner table conversation about Food Access, Food Justice, and Healthy Eating.
Create draws its inspiration from Seitu’s on-going collection of food stories and will speak of food traditions and rituals of the world cultures that gave birth to our diverse population. This multiple-media public artwork engages a host of artistic partners who are creating:
- Mobile ArtKitchens by Emily Stover
- Placemats by Mary Hark & Community
- Spoken Word piece by TouSaiko Lee, Deeq Abdi, Laurine Chang, Nimo Farah, & Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria with youth of the community
- Poetic grace by G. E. Patterson
- Choreography by Ananya Dance Theatre