February 14, 2023
2023 Shawngrām Summer Intensive: Processing to Re-Frame
Monday–Friday, June 19-30, 2023
Two Community Showings, time TBD
This two-week intensive in ADT’s signature movement aesthetic, YORCHHĀ, and our choreographic practice, SHAWNGRĀM, will invite participants into building physical strength and emotional stamina through a daily movement practice. Yorchhā combines movement principles from Odissi, the traditional Indian dance technique; Chhau, the martial art form from Odisha; and from Vinyasa Yoga. Shawngrām is the creative process for ensemble-based choreography to share a mosaic of stories and emotional landscapes and build justice-based collectivity through movement. This year’s thematic focus takes its inspiration from community processions taking up public space to re-direct our relationships to power and each other.
The first half of each session will be dedicated to instruction in Yorchhā, with room for different levels of interpretation depending on participants’ familiarity with the form. Whether this is your first experience with Yorchhā or you have been practicing for multiple summers, we will meet you where you are to steer you towards individual excellence. The second half will be dedicated to structured improvisational and choreographic processes. The Intensive will culminate in a choreographic offering with opportunities for live streaming.
Our theme this year is “Processing to Re-frame.” We are inspired by the BIPOC organizers of The Uprising and other justice movements who interrupt constructed “normals” and publicly refuse to accept systemic violences. Processions are designed to reveal the potential of movement and dance as a methodology for organizing. Your participation will enrich our work and our commitment to route choreography through justice and community. We hope it will offer us all different provocations about the role of art and dance in civic life and movements for social change.
We are currently exploring an opportunity to offer the culminating performance as part of a procession across city streets in keeping with our theme of “processing to re-frame”, and in partnership with leaders from our BIPOC communities.
Ways to Participate:
1) In-person at the Shawngrām Institute (Limited Capacity)
2) Remotely, Via Zoom
• We accept applications on a rolling basis. However, due to the continuing pandemic and to ensure the safety of our community, we have to limit our in-person attendance. Participants will be confirmed on a first-applied first-accepted basis.
• Students attending in-person classes must provide proof of up-to-date Covid-19 vaccination (booster required) and must wear face masks during class. No exceptions.
• All information we receive via the application will remain confidential.
• In Yorchhā instruction, corrections are offered primarily through verbal description. Should further clarification become necessary, instructors will ask before offering touch-based feedback.
• The Institute is located in an accessible building. We do our best to offer ASL interpretation and audio description to fit participant needs, so please describe your needs to us in your application.
• We will take access needs into consideration in the planning of “processional” performances.
Your presence in this process has deep value to us and to your fellow participants. We expect everyone to attend all ten Intensive sessions, including both showings.
Yorchhā™ is a barefeet dance technique. Please be ready to dance without socks as well. Participants should wear comfortable clothing that allows for easy movement. However, we prefer clothing that allows teachers to see the joint lines clearly in order to offer feedback.
• The total fee for this intensive is $650.
• Application fee/deposit of $50 (applied to total tuition fee) must be received before your application can be processed.
• A limited number of need-based scholarships are available. If you are awarded a scholarship, you will only pay the $50 application fee/deposit.
• Applications close on Monday, June 1, 2023. The $50.00, non-refundable deposit will be deducted from the tuition due.
• All tuition balances must be received by June 9, 2023. Once paid, tuition will not be refunded or pro-rated.
• Payment is via Paypal or check. Please indicate your payment preference in the application form.
• Upon acceptance, a Paypal invoice for any remaining balance will be emailed to the address provided.
• If you prefer to pay by check, please indicate on the form, make payable to “Ananya Dance Theatre”, and mail to P. O. Box 2427, Minneapolis MN 55402-0427.
Last to submit applications: Monday June 1, 2023.
ADT responds to application and scholarship need in 10 days or fewer.
$50 non-refundable deposit due Monday June 1, 2023.
Balance of tuition due Monday June 9, 2023.
First day of classes June 19, 2023
Detailed schedule, location, local transportation/parking information, and other logistics will be provided to all accepted applicants in June. The Shawngrām Institute does not provide local housing.
For questions about payment:
Contact Hadiya Shire at firstname.lastname@example.org