December 8, 2021
Ananya Dance Theatre seeks assistant manager
Ananya Dance Theatre seeks to hire a part-time Assistant Manager to start immediately.
The Assistant Manager reports to and works closely with the Managing Director and Artistic Director to manage the operations of the company.
Ananya Dance Theatre is a professional dance company of BIPOC women and femme artists working at the intersection of contemporary dance theater, social justice, and transnational feminisms. Our physical facility, the Shawngrām Institute for Performance & Social Justice is located at 1197 University Ave West, St Paul, MN, and is equipped with ADA-compliant access ramp and rest rooms. Typically, the company presents at least one new, devised performance annually, and is engaged in touring, offering community-based experiences, workshops, classes, and site-specific public art works. The company prides itself on developing deep roots in our local community along with wide-spreading branches in our transnational relationships.
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a Twin-Cities based professional who will work closely with the Managing Director and Artistic Director, and in keeping with the community-embedded professional culture the company has carefully nurtured since its inception. The person who is right for this position is a resourceful, proactive thought leader and problem solver, committed to a mission of BIPOC women and femme-centered social justice choreography, collaborative, energetic, people-oriented, and nurturing of the community connections that enliven our work.
This is a person who also works relatively independently to manage projects and makes decisions in close cooperation with other ADT colleagues, in keeping with the company’s culture.
This position does not have fixed hours per day every week, and the ideal candidate understands that their schedule will need to flexibly prioritize company activities.
● Bottom-line reliability;
● A generalist who tends to details in many areas in pursuit of meaning and accomplishment;
● A positive, can-do attitude reflected in forward-thinking that focuses on executing the details of short- and long-term tactics, strategies, and objectives;
● Understanding of and shared interest in social justice art-making and alternative, BIPOC-led aesthetics and artistic processes;
● Ability to articulate coherent stories orally and in writing;
● Strong written and verbal communication and marketing skills;
● Computer literacy and proficiency with Google Documents, Microsoft Office, and online QuickBooks;
● Strategic and tactical insight into the uses of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other online platforms;
● General facility to maintain technical equipment, e.g. alarm system, printer, etc.;
● Experience managing information in spreadsheets and other office software;
● Basic budgeting and accounting skills to maintain the baseline documentation for the organization’s bookkeeper, accountants, and auditor;
● Ability to organize, plan, facilitate, and manage activities to meet deadlines;
● Personal ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and navigate the nuances that balance the resources and dreams of a growing, mighty dance company.
- Facility Maintenance: Manage urgent building needs, such as contemporaneous security issues, monitor security cameras, manage key access for personnel, arrange for internal repairs, communicate with landlord and neighbors about concerns, needs, activities;
- Institute Schedule: Maintain schedule of Institute activities, particularly events that involve external parties, such as showings, rentals etc;
- Communications / Social Media: Assist the Managing Director with external communications, manage incoming administrative email, generate regular e-newsletter, assist in updating website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and monitor interactions on social media; coordinate mailings for publicity; develop and maintain constituent snail and email lists for students, audiences, and donors;
- Bookkeeping / Accounting: Manage internal accounting such as compiling receipts and complete documentation for bookkeeper, primary contact for book-keeper and tax accountant, managing deposits and accounts payable;
- Retrieve mail from post office box;
- General Office Administration: As assigned and assumed;
- Activities Files: Maintain electronic (on laptop desktop) and paper files for every annual activity as repositories for correspondence, contracts, photos, and other items throughout the year;
- Event Management: Manage online/streaming activities: These might include the Documents of our Times series, any performances, or workshops. Assisting with ADA compliance, set up, tear down, and technical aspects of these events;
- Track and compile accurate and defensible participant activity statistics for all activities: classes, workshops, performances, online streams, tour residencies;
- Development: Assist Managing Director in communicating and managing fundraising initiatives.
The Assistant Manager is budgeted to be a 0.50 FTE employee compensated at $25,000 annually. Ananya Dance Theatre will provide a MacIntosh laptop for virtual and in-person employment service.
Please visit our website for more information: www.ananyadancetheatre.org
Please send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis until the position is filled. All applicants will be notified of decisions in a timely fashion.